Saturday, August 16, 2014

 





This is the newest Tempe Brennan mystery. I enjoy listening to this series in my car, usually, so reading a paper copy was a change for me.

One of the best things about this series is feeling like you are right in Temperance Brennan's head. I also enjoyed getting to know her mother, who is a character, and plays an interesting role. Ryan is a central character again, and it was great to finally figure out where his mind was and what was going on with him - as much as you ever can.

I have to say the pattern of Tempe going off on her own to take on the bad guys is getting a little overworked. I don't blame Skinny for getting so exasperated with her all the time. And what is with her problems with Slidell? I think he's hilarious, smart, and a good cop.

When I read the ending, I had a "what the heck?" reaction. It seemed a little too pat.

However, despite my annoyances with Tempe, and her bullheadedness, I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment. If you like Reichs' series, you will think this is a great one.

Reviewed by: Lorien Goodale

Publication date:  9/23/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment