Saturday, August 16, 2014

Prototype by M. D. Waters

                                        

Prototype is the sequel to Archetype; both are dystopian novels. In the first book, we meet Emma, who is in her mid-twenties and married to Declan. Except it isn't nearly that simple. I don't want to ruin the first book for you. Suffice it to say that Emma runs away to search for the parents from whom she was kidnapped years ago. That brings us to the beginning of the second book.

I enjoyed both novels, but I liked the first one the best. I found Prototype a bit disjointed at times, and despite lots of action it didn't hold my attention all that well. I wasn't as interested in what happens to Emma. She ran away to find her parents, despite having some really significant ties in her home town, which she conveniently remembers when she has to go back there. Her behavior is erratic and unexplained. Some of the plot solutions come a bit too pat in the second book.

I found myself thinking at the end of the second book that perhaps these stories could have been more concisely made into a single novel with more (realistic) loose ends than the conveniently tied up ones that the author wrote.

Overall entertaining, but not outstanding.

Reviewed by: Lorien Goodale

No comments:

Post a Comment