Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sweet Salt Air by Barbara Delinsky





I hesitated before reading this book, because I have found Delinsky's recent works annoying in the extreme. Inconsistent and improbable behavior by characters, stilted dialogue, and disappointing plots were in my mind as I began. However, I'm glad I read it. This isn't the best book I've ever read, but it's far from the worst.  It's definitely a higher caliber than the last few of  Delinsky's novels.

We have two women friends who haven't seen each other for years. One is a nomadic journalist; the other married in her mid-twenties and has a famous blog, with a related cookbook on the way. The blogger asks the journalist for help in writing the cookbook. They agree to meet and stay at the Maine island beach house of the blogger's parents (where they spent much time as younger people in the past, including the blogger's wedding).

As soon as the two women arrive on the island, secrets begin to "rock the boat". The rest of the book entails the unraveling of the past and a healing for most involved, as they decide the future directions of their lives.

There's romance, including sex (but not to the degree of erotica), and lots of inner dialogue. The island characters are interesting and mostly believable, and the setting is perfect for an entertaining summer read. I wasn't annoyed at all! Would certainly be interested in trying more of Delinsky's future writing. 

Reviewer:  Lorien Goodale

No comments:

Post a Comment