Saturday, March 29, 2014

One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern








At the beginning of the book, you find out that something horrible has happened to the protagonist, journalist Kitty Logan. The following pages have a gradual unfolding of why, what and how, as well as the resulting changes in her life.

One of the things I liked best about this book was that I felt I got to know Kitty very well, with all her good and bad qualities. The other characters were also distinctive and interesting, from all kinds of backgrounds and ages. The setting is Ireland, which was fun, since I have rarely read books set in that country.

In reading the novel, I found myself examining my own motives for doing things, while at the same time being entertained. There's a theme of redemption, "it's never too late", about the book. And that change for the better is clearly due to the actions of the characters, not just chance.

I did think that some of the resolutions of various dilemmas at the end are a bit too pat, too convenient, and unrealistic.

If you are looking for a well-written book about people with realistic problems, a little romantic and a lot hopeful, this would be a great choice.


Reviewed by: Lorien Goodale

No comments:

Post a Comment