Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sixkill by Robert Parker

This was actually the first Spenser novel I have read, and the first I have read by Parker. It is quickly easy to understand how Parker helped define the modern detective novel. I enjoyed the story, and the characters, although it was a bit disconcerting to have no physical description of most of them. The prose is tight and dialogue driven, and scenes well set. I like a protagonist who can laugh at himself. The relationship between Sixkill and Spenser lent a nice three-dimensionality to the story, and left me wanting to see their future together. The characters are real, even if they aren't always nice. I didn't like the the foul language, or the casual indifference to violence. For fans of Spenser, however, I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Reviewer: Lorien Forrest

No comments:

Post a Comment